Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Faith Planning

My faith planner is something I came up with for my personal use.  I looked at several faith journals/planners and while I came across some really good ones, they all did more than I knew I would do.

I wanted and felt like I needed something simple that would be a gentle reminder of things I could do throughout the week that would help strengthen my faith.

I didn’t want to feel like I had to do them, but I wanted to be reminded that these were some resources I could tap into for some spiritual fuel when needed so I sat down and made a list of faith building resources that were available to me.

Before I share my list though, I want to address something, a check-list mentality.  A check-list mentality is when you go through the motions of doing something just so you can say you did it.  That’s not what I want! 

I may not be able to accomplish everything on my planner for the day or week and that’s okay. What it does for me though is to give me a guide, a place to refer to that helps me be aware of how much time I’m spending or not spending in my efforts to grow spiritually.

Here’s how I do my weekly faith planning:

First, I make a list of things I would like to do each week that will help me grow spiritually. I don't think about how unrealistic or impossible it would be, I just write it down on paper. 

This is what my current list looks like: (I incorporate this list in my diary/journal that I write in every day.)

  • Read and meditate on the Psalms (The Bible study that I do changes periodically) 
  • Scripture memorization
  • Listen to sermons and Bible lessons
  • Listen to spiritual songs
  • Prepare for Bible classes I teach
  • Read a faith-based book
  • Attend worship
  • Attend Bible class
  • Attend fellowship events
  • Meet God in a set aside time of prayer daily (Read more about my prayer journal HERE.)

Before we go any further let’s talk about attitudes.  I don't want to develop a 'I have to do this or I'm going to hell' attitude, a pharisaical attitude, or a check box mentality attitude that we talked about earlier.  All of these will lead one to looking for ways to justify not doing anything, I want a heartfelt attitude of I get to do this!   An attitude that longs for and looks for opportunities to spend time with God.

Next, I have to think in terms of small increments of time. Occasionally, I’ll have bigger chunks of time to devote to faith building but usually I’m grabbing minutes here and there.

Where do I have 5 minutes that I can pause and work on memorizing scripture?  Here’s something that works well for me.  I like to write out the scripture or scriptures I’m learning on an index card and put it on the refrigerator door.  Every time I go to open the door, I glance at it and recite what I can of it in my mind.  This is a big help and doesn’t take much time at all.

Finding periods of time to do Bible study takes a little more ‘intention’ and planning.  I look for blocks of time when I have at least 30 minutes that I can sit down and study.  Usually, but not always, for me this is early morning when the house is quiet.  Sometimes, I grab some quiet time at other times of the day and that works too.  The goal is to take advantage and be ready when opportunity presents itself.  By ‘being ready’ I mean I have my Bible study and supports all in one place or where I can easily utilize and get to them when I’m blessed with an opportunity.

I utilize earbuds when it comes to listening to a sermon, Bible lesson or spiritual song.  I can add a little more fuel to my spiritual tank when working in the home, taking a walk, or even working outside by listening to sermons, Bible lessons or spiritual songs.

The point is, is that I have to be intentional in my faith journey.  It's not going to just happen on its own.  Satan will see to that.

Here are a few scriptures that remind me of the importance of being intentional in my faith journey.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a worker who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.   II Timothy 2:15

Now these people were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.  Acts 17:11

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. I Peter 5:8

The thing about being intentional in one’s faith journey is that the more time one spends filling their spiritual cup the more one wants to! 

Please understand my heart in sharing how I do my faith planning, I’m not trying to be legalistic, holier-than-thou or something I’m not. I’m just trying to be as intentional as I can in reaching a goal that is very important to me.

May God be gloried in all that we do,

patsy @ From This Heart Of Mine

(c) 2022 by Patsy Norwood.  All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment