Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

How I Set Up My Prayer Journal, part 1

Last year I started searching for a method of creating a prayer journal that would work for me and help me stay focused on that time of day when I would head for my 'prayer closet.'  (For me my 'prayer closet' is anywhere it's quiet and I can be alone.)  I spent considerable time watching Youtube videos and looking at websites that offered examples and suggestions. 

Creating a prayer journal is a personal and private thing and I wanted it to be a tool that I would actually use and one that was pleasing to the eye as well.

In part 1, I'm going to show you what I purchased and how I set up the first phase of my journal.

The picture on the left is what I purchased at a local big box store, it's officially a planner.  The reason I chose this one is because it has plenty of space to write on each day. I think I paid about $12 for it.

It has a monthly spread for each month followed by a breakdown for each week.  Here's how I use the monthly spread ...


I'm using the month of October as an example as I already have things written on the August and September months.

The planner was plain when I purchased it so the first thing I did was add flower stickers.  I put them different places every month, this is what appealed to me for the space I had to work with for this October spread. I think they give the pages a little beauty.

The way I use this spread is to write in birthdays and anniversaries on appropriate dates.  You could use different colored pens for each if you like, but I generally just use a regular ink pen.  

After I get birthdays and anniversaries written in, I add any travels we have for the month.  I usually take a highlighter and draw a line at the bottom of each day across all the days we'll be traveling.

Next, I add any special events we need to attend, appointments we have, or any medical procedures scheduled.

The last thing I add is any dates of medical procedures, doctor appointments, etc that I've been asked to pray about.

The 'notes' area is for any notes or scriptures I want or need to add that better help me pray.  Sometimes when you don't know how to pray for or about a situation, praying through a specific scripture fits the bill perfectly.  This 'notes' section gives me room to write it out.

When I head to my 'prayer closet,' this journal goes with me and I pray for anything written on that day.

If someone has a birthday, I pray for them.

If someone has an anniversary, I pray for them.

If someone has a doctor's appointment or medical procedure, I pray for them and so on.

This helps me keep my mind focused and I'm less likely to forget someone's special occasion.  Who wouldn't like to be prayed for on their special day or days?

This also helps me to remember those who have asked for my prayers for or about a specific appointment or procedure they are having done.

All the date specific things go on this monthly spread.

I do something different with the weekly spread and in part 2, I'll share what that is.  (In part 3, I'll show you how I tie both part 1 and 2 together.)

I hope this makes sense and that it's beneficial to you.

Part 2 can be found HERE.

May God be gloried in all that we do,

patsy @ From This Heart Of Mine

(c) 2022 by Patsy Norwood  All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment