Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2024

Self-Control, Self-Discipline and Self-Restraint: Final Lesson

(Reminder:  the following are my class notes from a young wives and mothers Bible class that I teach.  They are not a complete lesson.)

We began our lesson by reviewing previous lessons, then we led into class with the question that started the series ...

How do we have better self-control and discipline?

We talked about the answer which was ... use our tools!

We talked in depth about those tools and how to use them ...

Prayer

Bible study

Mindfulness

Scripture memorization

Quote Scripture when tempted

I then gave them a list of Scriptures that they could mark in their Bibles and refer back to when they felt the need for reinforcement.  (I have them marked in my Bible too, we never get too old to need Scripture reinforcements.)

We talked in depth about each of the Scriptures and they highlighted them in green in their Bibles for easy finding.  I also had them to make an entry on a blank page in the front of their Bibles for identification purposes:  Self-Control:  Green.  This little notation will serve as a reminder that when they come across these highlighted verses, they will know what they are for and can even chain them together if they so desire ... that's what I did!

Proverbs 16:32

Proverbs 25:28

Romans 6:12

I Corinthains 6:12-20

I Corinthians 7: 5- 9

I Corinthians 9: 24-27

Galatians 5: 22-23

I Timothy 2: 9

II Timothy 1: 7

Titus 1:8

Titus 2:11-14

I Peter 4:7

II Peter 1:5-9

The conclusion of the study was that self-control is not going to happen without effort and that we must use the tools that God provided if we want to be successful.  I also reminded them that practice makes perfect and just because we might lose one battle, doesn't mean we've lost the war.  We simply learn from it and get better prepared, using our tools, for the next time.  I wanted them to know that as long as we are living, there will always be a next time no matter how young or old we are!

I hope you've enjoyed this little series, if you would like me to continue sharing notes from Bible classes I teach let me know in the comments.  

What's next for this young wives and mother's class ... I asked them this morning what they wanted to study next, and they are supposed to give it some thought this week.  I reminded them that no subject was off limits and that my desire was for this class to be pertinent to the everyday things they were dealing with ... we'll see what they choose next!

I hope these thoughts and notes help you in your spiritual walk with God.

May God be glorified in all that we do!

patsy @ From This Heart of Mine

In the spirit of Titus 2:3-5 and from this heart of mine ...

Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these lessons. I would love to see more of what you study. Our sermons at church are working through Colossians. So much conviction there! But like our pastor said yesterday, some days you find yourself swimming in the kiddie pool when you know you should be in the deep end. So you just start over , confess your sins and go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, I wish more Christians understood what your pastor said ... I think we'd have fewer discouraged Christians.

      Delete