Pages

Friday, February 17, 2023

Scripture Writing

What is Scripture writing?  It's just what it sounds like ... writing out Scripture on paper.  This year I committed to writing out Scripture following Write On My Heart Every Word, by Carla Moore and it has become something I look forward to daily.  It has amazed me that I am learning so much with this simple act.

Before I start a new book of the Bible though, I do a little background research.  For example, I recently finished writing out the book of Galatians and knowing the background of the book helped me understand the things Paul was teaching, which in turn helped me to more accurately apply the lessons to my life.

written by Paul

Theme:  By grace, not by the Law of Moses

Paul's work in Galatia had been extremely successful.  Great multitudes, mostly Gentiles had enthusiastically accepted Christ.  Sometime after Paul had left Galatia, certain Jewish teachers came along insisting that Gentiles could not be Christians without keeping the Law of Moses.  And the Galatians gave heed to their teaching with the same whole-heartedness with which they had at first received Paul's message ...  (Excerpt from Haley's Bible Handbook)

There's more, but with this, one can get the gist of what Paul was attempting to correct.  Knowing this before I started writing out the book helped keep the text in context.  This is so important in understanding God's Word.

I derived four take-a-ways from the simple act of writing the book of Galatians:

(1)  in the Christian era, we are saved by God's grace, not by the Law of Moses
(2)  we can easily be led astray
(3)  false teaching abounded then and it abounds now
(4)  we must know God's Word in order to recognize false teaching

Can you see why it's important to know the background of a book before you start writing or studying it?

May you be blessed by what you’ve read!

patsy @ From This Heart Of Mine

(c) 2023 by Patsy Norwood.  All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

  1. We are both enjoying the scripture writing. I have been surprised at how much I knew and had in my memory as I write. Thank you for posting about it in December so we could get started in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, it such an easy way to study God's Word, isn't it!

      Delete
  2. I'm late to the party, but I'm coming over from your other blog. I've seen you mention the Scripture writing, and now I know what you are doing! I have a pretty notebook that I made over, and now I know just what to do with it. Writing aids so much in understanding and memorizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, welcome! It's amazing how the simple act of writing Scriptures helps us in our spiritual growth, isn't it?

      Delete