Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Studying the Book of Jonah, part 5

Jonah was so full of hatred and disgust for the Ninevites that he would rather run from God than aid in their repentance.  In chapter 1, Jonah’s running landed him in a classroom that God specifically prepared for him, unbeknownst to Jonah, …. the belly of a great fish. 

Let’s see how Jonah’s education is going …  (Part 4 can be found HERE.)

Chapter 2

Verse 1:  Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish

From the school room of the fish’s stomach, Jonah finally prays!  Jonah was afraid, suffering and afflicted … he had to get to this point before he could start on the path of surrender that would lead to obedience to God.

 

Verse 2:  saying, “I called out to the Lord, out of my distress and he answered me; out of the belly of Shoel I cried and you heard my voice.

How tormented Jonah must have been, it was time to realize that he could no longer run from God.  Amidst Jonah’s misery, physical sufferings, and afflictions, he called out to God and God heard him.

 

Verse 3:  For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me.

Jonah acknowledges God’s hand in the dreadful circumstances in which he finds himself.  He doesn’t blame the sailors who threw him overboard, he acknowledges the sovereignty of God in all that has happened to him.

 

Verse 4:  Then I said, “I am driven away from your sight; yet I shall again look upon your ‘holy temple.’

Jonah recognizes that it was his rebellion that separated him from God, and he reaches out in faith for God’s mercy.

 

Verse 5:  The waters closed in over me to take my life, the deep surrounded me: weeds were wrapped about my head

Jonah is assessing his situation, water everywhere, weeds wrapped around his head, it’s quite possible that when the fish swallowed Jonah, he also consumed seaweed as well.  Jonah was floundering in the tangled mess.

Overwhelmed, claustrophobic, panicked, smothering and drowning …  thoughts of imminent death had to be consuming his mind.

Until the next installment, 

patsy @ From This Heart Of Mine

(c) 2022 by Patsy Norwood.  All Rights Reserved.

2 comments: