Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Encouragement and Sweet Potato Pie!

I never knew how much I liked sweet potato pie until we moved to the area where we live now, and an older woman of the church invited us to her home where she served one as part of the meal.

I don't recall having sweet potatoes much growing up and when we did, well, I don’t remember them being something I looked forward to having.

So, when this dear woman served us a piece of her sweet potato pie, I was going to be a good guest and eat it.  I still remember that first bite, it felt like it absolutely melted in my mouth and the flavor and taste just exploded all over my tastebuds.  This woman was a good cook and I know that the rest of the meal was quite good as well (she also cooked the best fried chicken I ever put in my mouth), but that sweet potato pie stands out in my mind.  Yes, it was that good to me!

I shared with her how much I enjoyed the meal and especially the sweet potato pie.  You guessed it, occasionally, she would call and say something like, ‘I just took two sweet potato pies out of the oven, and one of them is yours, come and get it at your convenience.’   I or my husband always did!  

Her and her husband had to move from our area due to health issues several months ago but every time it gets sweet potato harvesting time, I think of all those delicious pies she made and shared with me and I smile.

This dear woman and I became good friends, and she encouraged me in so many ways, her sweet potato pies being just one!

Today, I made a sweet potato pie and I thought of Mrs. D and the wonderful mentor she was to me.

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.  I Thessalonians 5:11

Now, who do I know that needs encouraging today and maybe a piece of sweet potato pie?

May God be glorified in all that we do!

patsy @ From This Heart Of Mine

(c) 2022 by Patsy Norwood.  All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment